Wednesday, December 31, 2008

My New Years Resolution

I'm usually not one to make a New Years Resolution, but I felt it was right this year. I struggled to come up with a New Years Resolution that I could keep. It needed to be something related to language learning. But what, exactly?

Should I vow to get over the hump and become fluent in Spanish? Bring back my dormant French? Finally commit to learning Swedish? Or Cornish? I came up with a solution that solves all of that (potentially). My New Years Resolution is to go back to school and get a language-related degree. I don't know for sure whether that will be linguistics, comparative philology (I don't even think anyone offers that as a degree anymore) or some other degree, but I've made the vow.

I have my school in mind and a back-up if I need it. I'll be spending much of this year preparing myself financially. I've gone to school before while working and it's no fun. I'd like to have a stronger financial base this time so that working won't interfere with school.

You may not be as interested in languages as I am, but you can make a simple resolution to make a commitment to study your target language(s) at least a little every day. Listen to music, read books, read websites, listen to news, study grammars etc. Apply yourself every day. It's a journey of 10,000 steps and each step brings you that much closer to your goal.

No comments: