Monday, January 14, 2008

Language Reviews

As I've read a number of books on learning languages, I've noticed that there is always a chapter on choosing which language to learn. When I first read it , I thought it was odd. If you're going to learn a language, you should pretty much already know which one (or ones) you want or need to learn.

But, I discover more and more that there are lots of people who don't know which language they want to learn. They know they want to learn another language, but can't decide which one is most useful or interesing to them. These are people who have the drive to learn, but no pre-determining need or desire for one particular language.

In Barry Farbers book How to Learn Any Language, he has a section on language reviews. He reviews the most popular languages to learn as anyone would review movies or a book.

I liked this idea and I've added a Language Reviews page on the site. Here, you can add your thoughts on languages you have learned or studied.

I think it is an interesting way for people to share their language learning experiences with a specific language, and thereby help people who are currently learning the language, or even just thinking about it.

No comments: