Friday, April 24, 2009

Miccosukee

I have an interest in endangered languages. So, I've been doing a little research about the endangered languages near to where I live, which limits me to Native American languages in South Florida. The only languages that meet this criteria are the Seminole languages of Creek and Miccosukee, both closely related Muskogean languages that I believe originate from Alabama and Georgia. (Interestingly, there were a number of tribes in Florida before the Seminoles, but were wiped out by disease, slavery and oppression of arriving Europeans, and conquest by other native tribes. The Seminoles arrived later.)

The history of the Native Americans, particularly those in the US southeast, is horrific. Just the fact that these people still exist is inspiring and makes me want to help document their languages, as there are more that have disappeared or died out than now exist. And those that speak them are very few - a few hundred for Miccosukee and not much more for Creek.

Resources to learn these languages are almost non-existent. I found a few texts with audio for Creek and other Muskogean languages. There are a couple of webpages with a few dozen vocabulary words. Not very helpful.

I read an article from 1999 that stated that Rosetta Stone was working with the Miccosukee (as they have with other tribes) to create software to teach their language. I have not heard if that project was ever completed.

I am finishing up a book called Spoken Here - Travels Among Threatened Languages by Mark Abley. It makes me want to contribute in some way and help save or at least document endangered or dying languages. But how can I help?

No comments: