Sunday, March 13, 2005

Breton, Provencal and Catalan

Anyone notice that my blog entries have been a little more involved? I'm getting into this 'blogging' thing. I can see why people enjoy this.

I mentioned my interest in Celtic languages in one of my previous posts. I thought about learning Breton before, it's an interesting language (aren't they all?). It's sort of a 'Frenchified' Celtic - it has that French 'R' which I like. I seem to be leaning in a 'Languages of France' direction. The crown jewel of my language study comes when I learn Provencal (someday). I've had a fascination with it since the day I learned of it in French class in high school. And I've looked into the other 'dialects' of Occitan and they just don't interest me as much. Don't know why. For Pete's Sake - if anyone reading this knows of any books on Provencal or even Occitan in general, please let me know. Let me specify - books written in English. I've found a few resources in French, but no books written in English. Catalan, another language spoken in southern France, seems to interest me as well. Here's a good spot for a Tolkien quote -

'I wish life was not so short,' he thought. 'Languages take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about.'

Added a Why Learn Languages page. Also a Learning for Travel and Learning for Business page.

No comments: