Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Michel Thomas Spanish

After I had written that Michel Thomas update a few days ago, I took out my copy of Michel Thomas Spanish and started uploading to my iPod. After listening to the first two cds (which I have seen sold as an 'Introductory'course) I can now give my initial impressions of the course.

It was as I had remembered it to be a few years ago, when I listened to the first few lessons. I recall not liking having the other two 'students' on the cd perhaps taking up time away from my learning, but I quickly accepted that and got over it. Eventually I found it to be my way of buying time to come up with the answer, rather than hitting the pause button as the introduction suggests you should do. (I listen while driving to and from work, so looking down at the pause and play buttons while driving isn't a good idea!)

At this point, the material being studied is quite easy for me, but I am impressed with the method. He does an excellent job of breaking down the language into simple bite-sized chunks that a beginner can get a hold of. I am quite impressed with the complexity of sentences that complete beginners can make within just a few minutes of listening. He builds an intuitive understanding of word-order and sentence formation that blows away most other methods.

I will keep going with the course and post regular updates. Anyone else try Michel Thomas? I am interested to hear your comments!

No comments: