Saturday, October 04, 2008

Michel Thomas Update

I talked about the Michel Thomas method a few weeks ago. Since then I have done some more research on his method.

Michel Thomas himself recorded courses for French, Spanish, Italian and German. For each of these languages there is an 8 cd Foundation course, a 5 cd advanced course and a 2 cd language builder course. I believe there is also a vocabulary course as well.

Since Michel Thomas has died, there have been several more languages added. Using his technique, Foundation and Advanced courses for Arabic, Mandarin Chinese and Russian were released, and vocabulary courses are scheduled for release in 2009.

They are now aggressively adding languages and courses. Foundation courses have been released for Dutch, Portuguese, Japanese and Polish, with Advanced courses for each of these languages scheduled for release within the next year, along with a Greek Foundation and Advanced course.

These new additions are exciting. I actually have the courses (all of them I think) for Spanish, Italian, French and German, but have never yet given them a decent listen. I will start with Spanish since it is the language freshest in my mind, so at least I can see how Michel Thomas works in detail.

A reader of the blog actually tipped me off to the release of the Dutch course, which really has me excited about the Michel Thomas method (thanks Alan!), and the recent rapid expansion of Michel Thomas courses. I'll work through the Spanish courses, and if I really like it I'll get the Dutch course. But I have to time it just right - if I finish it too soon before the Dutch Advanced course comes out in January, I'll go nuts for too long waiting for it to be released!

No comments: