Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Friendsabroad Acquired by Babbel

I just read that Friendsabroad.com has been acquired by Babbel.com. It sounds like Friendsabroad will be disappearing, and any accounts should be transferred to Babbel within the next 6 months. Friendsabroad will continue to function during that time.

I have just transferred my account and briefly checked out Babbel for the first time. I find Babbel to be similar to Lingq (I seem to be comparing everything to Lingq these days!) I like Lingq better, especially since it has been recently restructured. Actually I like Friendsabroad as it is, but I guess I'll have to get over it if it is going to be phased out.

I don't know if Babbel will be adopting Friendsabroads features, it doesn't sound like it. Babbel includes support for those learning English, French, Spanish, Italian and German. Friendsabroad mentions that it has members learning 80 languages. What happens to the other 75 languages in Babbel? It is unclear if accomodations are going to be made for people learning those languages.

No comments: